Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Enchanted Rose: A Tutorial


I have so many fond memories that are tied to Disney's animated, musical film version of Beauty and the Beast.  I remember when my mom and dad took my sister and me to see it in the theater shortly after it premiered; it was actually released on my birthday, a fact that I've enjoyed for a long time.  I remember dressing up and acting out the story, with Mom playing the role of the narrator while my sister and I played all of the other characters, and I remember how my sister used to love one particular bit near the end of the movie, where a wardrobe--enchanted and come to life--leaps off a balcony, singing an operatic musical note as her battle-cry.  

Somewhere along the line, my family acquired a book of Disney-themed parties, and for my eleventh--I think--birthday, I had the Beauty and the Beast themed party from that book.  My friends and I played a relay game where we balanced--on our two hands and our heads--three 'candlesticks' that were made out of cardboard tubes and construction paper, pretending to be the film's enchanted candelabra, Lumiére.  I remember the birthday cake that was made to look like the enchanted teapot, Mrs. Potts, and her little teacup son, Chip; I also remember 'Beastly Baked Potatoes', which were cleverly made to resemble the character for which they were named.  

I also recall when I was a little older--around sixteen, I believe--when I discovered the Broadway musical version of the tale, and wouldn't rest until my mom and dad bought us tickets to see the show when it came to town.  It was a theater-experience that was nothing short of sublime, and I was moved to tears by the tugging of my heartstrings and the sheer beauty of it all.  And I completely geeked out when my favorite television show, Once Upon A Time, did their own version of the Beauty and the Beast story in last year's Valentine's Day episode.  It was heartwrenching, and fabulous.

Now, all of that is yet another roundabout way of introducing my true focus of this post, which is the tutorial on how to make your very own version of the movie's infamous floating enchanted rose in a bell jar.  My designs for my little girl's nursery have included as many pretty, girly things as I could possibly think up...and/or manage to include...within reason.  Mom has some lovely bell jars around the house, and I kept looking at them and thinking, If I could find a bell jar of my own, I know I could something that would look like that enchanted rose. And, well--I did find a way to put together my own illusion of a rose floating in mid-air under the shelter of a bell jar!  I shall share with you how it can be done forthwith.

You will need:

- A mantelpiece clock, like the one below


- Wood paste, like this stuff
- Some duct tape
- Spray paint, of the color of your choice. I chose silver, to mimic a mirror.
- A hot glue gun
- Two clear or white buttons. It is very important that they have no color!
- Some transparent thread, like this, or fine fishing line
- A silk rose
- A needle and scissors


First, you'll want to dismantle the clock, removing the clock itself and all of its machinery until you're left with simply the clock's base and the bell jar.  Cogsworth would be horrified, I know.  Please forgive my rather haphazard illustrations...I was working in pen, and wanted to get the drawings done quickly, before Lil' Princess woke up from her nap.  



Place some of the duct tape on the underside of the clock's base, and then fill in any of the holes from where the clock was formerly attached to the base, using the wood paste.  Allow the paste to dry, and then sand over it a little, so that the filled-in holes are hidden.  Next, spray paint the base.  As I have already said, I had mine painted silver, so that it mimics the look of a mirror--another inanimate object that is predominantly featured in the film as a major plot device.  Allow it to dry, and there!  You're finished with that part of the project!



You want for the buttons that you are using to be clear or white, at least, because they will be helping to create the illusion that the rose is magically suspended in midair within the bell jar.  Take the two buttons and secure them, one at each end, to a short bit of the clear thread or fishing line.  I used about an inch and a half for mine, but the length of the thread really depends on the size and height of your bell jar.  You can make adjustments accordingly.



Cut the silk rose to a length that will fit under the bell jar, leaving it short enough to have room both above and below it, when you hold it inside the bell jar.  You might have to prune a few petals and rearrange and reattach some of the leaves, to make the rose fit within the jar in the manner that you find to look the best.



Carefully attach one of the buttons into the rose by parting the rose's petals and using the hot glue gun to plant a dollop of glue inside.  Press the button onto the hot glue to secure it inside of the rose.  Take the other button, at the other end of the string, and attach it into the center of the inside of the bell jar.  The rose should now appear--when you place the bell jar on a flat surface--to magically float in the air.  The transparent thread and the buttons create the illusion!



To complete your Beauty and the Beast inspired work of art, simply place the bell jar on its base, set it on a shelf or dresser or table top somewhere, and enjoy its whimsical, and...dare I say...enchanting charm. ;D

I found my mantelpiece clock at a thrift store, and it cost under $10, and the silk rose cost less than $3 at the craft store.  All of the other materials, I already had access to--so if you play your cards right, this project is beautiful and inexpensive!  I'm quite happy with how the one that I put together for Lil' Princess turned out.



Until I write again...

À bientôt!

--Cait



No comments:

Post a Comment